Friday, April 24, 2009

Some Affirmation

On Easter, parents of one of our Bridge 45 kids thanked me for what I had taught the week before (see my last blog post). The dad had been in the room because he's in training to become a small group leader, and had appreciated all that was shared with the kids. He and his wife were telling me it completely affirmed what they are teaching their son, and they appreciated the opportunity for him to see it's not just his parents who think that way. They commented on how hard it can be to have higher standards for what your child watches on TV or video games they play. I was so proud of that mom to hear her say that she always asks what movies will be played at sleepovers her son goes to. If she doesn't approve, she'll offer to provide a different movie. She's received some flack for being a "strict" mom. I wish we had more parents like her! It was nice to be affirmed that these parents appreciated what we're teaching. But more than that, I'm so glad I could back them up. After all, isn't that what we're supposed to be doing?

No comments: